Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Sonic X: Issue 1























Sonic X: Issue 1
Publication Date: September 2005

I can't tell you how many times I have tried to get into “Sonic X.” When the English dub premiered, I was in high school. I felt a little self conscious about watching a Saturday morning cartoon back then. I stopped watching after two or three episodes. Since then, I've made at least two other attempts to watch the original Japanese version. Each time, I drift away after a few episodes. This isn't a knock against “Sonic X's” quality. The show ran in syndication many years after its original run, suggesting it was popular. I'm sure that “Sonic X” was the gateway drug for some that SatAM was for me. Someday, I'll watch the whole thing, I swear.













If I have next to no familiarly with “Sonic X,” why am I reviewing the comic book? Originally, I wasn't going to. The series only had one quasi-crossover with the main Archie “Sonic” book, mostly staying in its own continuity. There's really no reason for me to read it, much less review it. However, a combination of my O.C.D. and my professional devotion to you, dear readers, made me change my mind. If I gave “Sonic Live!” and the fucking “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” crossover a fair chance, why not “Sonic X?” Besides, it'll make my Best/Worst List more comprehensive or something.

The first issue of Archie's “Sonic X” tie-in features a few info bubbles, detailing the basic premise of the cartoon. The short version: Sonic and his friends got zapped from their world to Earth, where they shacked up with Chris Thorndyke, a rich kid, and his scientist grandpa. Issue 1 features the story “Saving and Groans.” In it, Dr. Eggman realizes these humans keep their funds inside facilities called "banks." He immediately decides to rob one, utilizing a giant rat robot for the job. By coincidence, Sonic's friends are at the same bank that gets attack. Luckily, Sonic shows up to save the day.


I don't want to put “Sonic X' down too much. But one of the reasons why the show has never clicked with me, personally, is it strikes me as a more simplified version of Sonic and his friends. Sonic is a speedy, super-good guy with minimal 'tude. Tails is childish, occasionally ingenious, but also something of a klutz. This is displayed in “Saving and Groans” when he drops a bunch of Power Rings on the floor. In his one appearance here, Knuckles is more serious then Sonic, refusing to abandon his post on Angel Island for any reason. Amy is Sonic's fawning fan girl. Cream the Rabbit – thus far unseen in Archie's main book – just comments on events as they happen, being even more childish than Tails.

I don't want to call it the kiddie version of “Sonic the Hedgehog.” (That's “Sonic Schoolhouse,” if we're being totally technical.) But it's obviously a softer, less serious take on these characters. Take at look at Eggman, for one example. He petulantly whines about humanity's refusal to acknowledge his genius. He's utterly baffled by the Earthly exchange of money and goods. After activating his rat robot, he sings a few lyrics of Michael Jackson's “Ben.” Which is, admittedly, a totally unexpected reference. The book doesn't stop there, as Eggman also has two comic relief henchmen, a pair of robots named Decoe and Bocoe. It's occasionally funny, especially the robot's reaction to an ATM or Irish-accented cop, but the writing is clearly aiming for a younger demographic.










If fans are critical of any aspect of “Sonic X,” it's the cartoon exclusive characters. Chris Thorndyke is a frequent target for fan derision, with his grandfather not being much better liked. In issue 1 of “Sonic X,” Chris doesn't come off as any more whiny, cutesy, or obnoxious then Tails or Cream. A few pages are devoted to Chris being reunited with his parents, who are frequently away from home for some reason, but it doesn't amount to much. (I'm also not sure what to make of Mr. Tanaka and Ella, Chris' racial minority servants.) More annoying is Sam Speed, a cocky race car driver who is apparently related to Chris. Sam is obsessed with beating Sonic's speed but always fails to best him. I'm not sure why the issue opens with this. Is Sam Speed going to become important later?

I'm not sure if “Sonic X” becomes more serialized as it goes on but “Savings and Groans” is a stand alone story. The action is saved for the back half of the book. There is a certain goofy appeal to a giant rat robot shooting missiles from its back and laser beams from its eyes. Amy and Tails attempt to fight off, granting some determined toughness to the pink hedgehog. Sonic bests the rat-bot in a few minutes, struggling all of once. He also allows Eggman to get away at the end. But it's not a bad bit of action.


A totally different staff from the main book handles the creative duties on “Sonic X.” Somebody named Joe Edkin writes the script. Somebody named Tim Smith III draws the issue. Smith's artwork closely resembles the artwork of the “Sonic X” cartoon. It's totally serviceable. Smith seems to especially enjoy drawing Eggman and his minions, all of him look appropriately cartoony. Smith's artwork is also slightly flat. His backgrounds are a bit drab and panels devoted to characters talking are a snore. But it looks fine.

So what do I think of the first issue of the “Sonic X” comic? It's... Fine. That's more-or-less how I react to the cartoon, as well. Don't hate it, don't love it, aren't immediately sucked in. But it's inoffensive and relatively well executed. Hopefully, the book will get a little more interesting as forty whole issues of simply fine stories might get a little dull after a while... [6/10]

3 comments:

  1. I seem to recall it getting better later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't end up buying these. Amazon's double paywall has tapped me out and there's Twin Peaks to watch!

    So I'll try to get the feel of the comic through your reviews (as I've seen maybe 8 episodes of Sonic X and they seemed generally pretty terrible).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you reviewing the Sonic X comic; this should be interesting.

    The comic has some rough patches early on, but eventually gets pretty good - particularly once Ian Flynn takes over the writing duties. Familiarity with the show isn't required to enjoy the comic; the comic is set in calm periods between the more interesting events of the show and makes very few references to them (it will eventually become relevant that the show did adaptations of the Sonic Adventure games, but if you know the plot of the games I think that'll be enough).

    ReplyDelete